R Kelly (born January 8, 1967) is An acclaimed American singer, songwriter, and record producer. He achieved global recognition with his debut album “12 Play”, which was certified six-times platinum after it was released in 1993. Through his songs and albums, he has made his mark in the music industry, and his career has been exceptionally successful.
The singer earned a multimillion-dollar fortune as one of the biggest R&B singers of the 90s and early 2000s. However, R Kelly’s wealth was ultimately diminished by his legal troubles over the years.
R Kelly has also received dozens of awards for his music, including the BET award, the Billboard award, and many American Music Awards. Throughout his career, he has been involved in a total of 12 world tours beginning in 1994 and ending in 2013. During his career, he has accrued tens of millions of dollars of fortune. If we look at Celebrity Net Worth at one point, his fortune reached almost $100 million. He has suffered a gradual, but expensive downfall as a result of settlements with abuse victims, an expensive divorce, and other legal troubles he has encountered.
Image Source: Wikipedia, Edits: Grandpeoples
R Kelly Net Worth
R Kelly Net Worth: -$2 Million
As of 2022, R Kelly is estimated to have a net worth of about –$2 Million. He lost his fortune after a string of legal problems.
|Net Worth||-$2 Million|
|Previous Net Worth||$100 Million|
R. Kelly was born on January 8, 1967, at Chicago Lying-In Hospital in Chicago, Illinois, and he grew up in the city. When Kelly was about five years old, Kelly’s mother married a man named Lucious, who was reportedly employed by an airline company at the time. At the age of eight, Kelly became a member of the church choir and began singing in the choir. During his childhood, he lived with his family in a public housing project known as the Ida B. Wells Homes on the south side of Chicago, in the Black Metropolis-Bronzeville District.
Kelly began studying at Kenwood Academy in the Hyde Park-Kenwood area of the city in September of 1980, where he met music teacher Lena McLin, one of the teacher members of the music department, who encouraged him to sing the Stevie Wonder classic “Ribbon in the Sky” as part of the school’s talent show in January 1981.
He was diagnosed with dyslexia when he was a child and was unable to read or write as a result. After attending Kenwood Academy for a year, Kelly decided to drop out of high school. Under the Chicago “L” tracks, he began to perform in the subway beneath the tracks. He played basketball with Ben Wilson in his youth, and he sang a tribute to Wilson at Wilson’s funeral in which he sang “It’s So Hard to Say Goodbye to Yesterday” and some other songs.
|Full Name||Robert Sylvester Kelly|
|Other Names||Kellz, Pied Piper|
|Date of Birth||January 8, 1967|
|Age||55 years (as of 2022)|
|Birthplace||Chicago, Illinois, United States|
Image Source: Edits: Grandpeoples
R. Kelly Family
A native of Chicago, Illinois, in the United States, Robert Sylvester Kelly was born on January 8, 1967, in Chicago. Kelly was raised by his mother and siblings in the Bronzeville Neighborhood, which is situated in the city of Chicago. A native of Chicago, Illinois, in the United States, Robert Sylvester Kelly was born on January 8, 1967, in Chicago. Kelly was raised by his mother and siblings in the Bronzeville Neighborhood, which is situated in the city of Chicago.
Among his siblings, he has five (of which three are half-siblings), two older sisters and brothers, along with one younger brother and sister.
Joanne Kelly is the name of his mother who was a teacher at a local school. Kelly’s father’s name is Lucious, he was married to Kelly’s mother and is his stepfather.
The Kelly family lived in poverty for a considerable amount of time and it was difficult for them to survive on a day-to-day basis. He began singing as part of the church choir when he was only eight years old, and he has been singing ever since.
R Kelly’s Wife, Affairs, and More
The marital status of R Kelly is divorced.
|Marriage date||The year 1994|
|Spouse||-Aaliyah (M. 1994–1995)|
-Andrea Lee (M. 1996–2009)
|Children||Jaya Kelly, Joann Kelly, Robert Kelly|
Children of R. Kelly
|Children||Jay Kelly, Joann Kelly, Robert Kelly|
#1. Joann Kelly
Joann Kelly is R. Kelly’s eldest child, and she was born on March 19, 1998, which makes her the oldest in the Kelly family. In the same way as her father, Joann is an accomplished singer.
#2. Robert Kelly Jr.
He is best known in the country as Robert Kelly Jr., the youngest son of R. Kelly and one of the best basketball players in the country.
#3. Jay Kelly
Known as a singer and rapper, Jay Kelly is the middle child of R. Kelly and Drea.
R Kelly Height & Aesthetics
|Height||in centimeters: 185 cm|
in meters: 1.85 m
in feet inches: 6’1″
|Weight||in kilograms: 90 Kg|
In pounds: 200 lbs
|Body Measurements||Not Known|
|Shoe Size||Not Available|
R Kelly Career
Kelly’s journey into singing began at a very early stage of his life. He began singing in the church choir at the age of eight. This was the start of the journey into Kelly’s singing career. He began attending Kenwood Academy in Hyde Park-Kenwood, a prestigious high school in the city’s Hyde Park-Kenwood neighborhood, in September 1980. While there, he met music teacher Lena McLin, who encouraged Kelly to perform the Stevie Wonder classic “Ribbon in the Sky” at the high school talent show.
The Musically Gifted Men, or Mentally Gifted Men (MGM), were formed in 1989 by Robert Kelly, Marc McWilliams, Vincent Walker, and Shawn Brooks. Tavdash Records, which is an independent record label, was offered a contract to work with MGM in 1990. Ultimately, the group disbanded a short time after the release of one single, “Why You Wanna Play Me”, in response to the single’s release.
In 1989, Kelly rose to national prominence when MGM participated in the talent TV show Big Break, hosted by Natalie Cole, making the star a national sensation.
The group went on to win the $100,000 grand prize after performing “All My Love”, which would later become a demo for Kelly’s song “She’s Got That Vibe”.
In 1995, Kelly qualified for his first Grammy nominations; two of which resulted from his writing, producing, and composing contribution to Michael Jackson’s final top-of-the-chart hit, “You Are Not Alone”.
A record-breaking 12 weeks at number one on the Hot R&B Singles chart were earned by Kelly’s first solo album, 12 Play, which was released on November 9, 1993. The song, “Bump N’ Grind”, spent a record-breaking 12 weeks at number one on the Hot R&B Singles chart, making Kelly’s debut album a number-one smash hit.
Some FAQs About R Kelly
Currently, R Kelly’s net worth is estimated to be -$2 million.
The singer R. Kelly was born on January 8, 1967, and he is 55 years old.
Joann Kelly, Robert Kelly, and Jay Kelly.
He is 6’1″ feet tall.
Aaliyah, Drea Kelly.
Due to his legal problems and offenses, R Kelly has lost most of his wealth and fame, making him an outcast in the business world. There have been dozens of women who filed a lawsuit against him in the last few years and he has paid millions of dollars to settle it.
Here are some trivia and facts
Image Source: Wikipedia, Edits: Grandpeoples
- His reading and writing were affected by an untreated learning disability, as a result of which he was unable to cope with the situation.
- When Kelly was growing up, he grew up in a public housing project in Chicago, and his mother was always teaching him the importance of faith in Jesus Christ.
- Kelly’s mother, Joanne, died of cancer in 1993, after a long battle with the disease.
- During the mid-1980s, Kelly was regarded as one of the most prosperous and influential R&B artists of all time.
- The singer married Andrea Kelly, his backup dancer during the time of his career as a singer and mother of his three children, in 1996, and they had three children together.
- The singer’s first solo album, 12 Play, was released on November 9, 1993, and produced Kelly’s first number-one hit, “Bump N’ Grind”, which spent a time-stamped 12 weeks at number one on the Billboard Hot R&B Singles chart, a record.
- Kelly signed a contract with the Atlantic City Seagulls of the USBL (The United States Basketball League) in 1997 in order to play professional basketball with that team.
- The first time Kelly was nominated for a Grammy award came in 1995.
- ‘I Believe I Can Fly’, Kelly’s inspirational song, was originally released on the soundtrack for Space Jam.
- Having partnered with Jimmy Iovine’s Interscope Records, Rockland Records, a label created by R Kelly was launched in 1998.
- During the early 2000s, Kelly was recognized for his established status as one of the most popular R&B stars as a result of multiple awards.
- A serious scandal broke out concerning a tape that appeared to show Kelly with an underage girl at the end of the Olympic opening ceremony on the 8th of February 2002, while Kelly was performing at the closing ceremony of the 2002 Winter Olympics.
- On June 11, 2010, Kelly performed at the opening ceremony of the 2010 FIFA World Cup.
- A throat operation was performed on Kelly on July 19, 2011, at the Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago.
- After being kicked off the Best of Both Worlds tour, Kelly filed a $75 million lawsuit against his former friend Jay-Z and several concert promoters.
- Throughout his career, Kelly has won and been nominated for multiple awards, both in the music industry as well as in the field of songwriters, producers, and artists.
- A Chicago mansion that dates back to the early 1900s, which was located in the Lakeview neighborhood, was purchased by R Kelly in 1994 for $1.107 million. The mansion was 8,400 square feet in size. The mansion was sold in 2002 for $2.25 million.
- In his career, R. Kelly has received 24 Grammy nominations, including for his own performances, as well as for work he has produced for other musicians, and he has also won three awards during his time in the music business.
- During the height of his celebrity status, R. Kelly made the decision to collaborate with another prominent figure in the music industry, the hip-hop MC Jay-Z, in addition to many other collaborations he had previously had with tracks such as Jay-Z’s “Not Guilty” and Kelly’s “Fiesta Remix.”
This article gives an overview of the life and career of a world-renowned singer and songwriter who rose to popularity in the mid-80s as one of the greatest producers of R&B and hip-hop music. The song I Believe I Can Fly is one of his most famous songs, which has won him three Grammy awards over the years. The controversy surrounding R. Kelly’s personal life has become as famous for him as he has become for the musical achievements he has made.
He was sentenced to 30 years in prison for just one of the convictions he received in his criminal history. This sentence could be extended to many more years if another sentencing process is carried out. The achievement of selling over 30 million albums of R Kelly makes him one of the most successful musicians in the history of music in the United States.